Caring for Your Dentures
The image of a glass full of false teeth on the nightstand is plastered all throughout popular culture. You would think that soaking your dentures in water and cleaner is sufficient, but the doctors of The Center for Cosmetic & Family Dentistry remind us that proper denture care requires more than just that. In fact, denture maintenance is an important part of oral health. For Destin & Panama City Beach residents who have dentures or are considering them, it is important to know exactly how they function and how to care for them. If you have any questions, please give us a call at The Center for Cosmetic & Family Dentistry.
How do Dentures Work?
Dentures are intended for Destin & Panama City Beach residents who have lost most or all of their teeth. Dentures are removable dental appliances that look nearly identical to natural teeth. They also function the same way, allowing folks with little or no remaining teeth to eat and speak normally. In addition to improving oral health, facial structure, and smile, having a good set of dentures can mean a world of difference for your general health.
How to Care for Your Dentures
Although dentures are not real teeth, they require similar care to keep them clean, safe, and functioning properly. If you have dentures, keeping them clean is an important part of your oral health. Here are some tips on how to care for your dentures:
- Clean your dentures every day by soaking them in cleaning solution. Creams and pastes can be rough on dentures and do not work as well as a decent soak.
- Make sure to rinse your dentures thoroughly before putting them back
into your mouth.
- Do not put any denture cleaning products in your mouth. All creams, pastes, gels, and solutions are intended for the dentures only.
- Don’t ever boil your dentures. Although it is common to think of boiling water as the ultimate disinfectant, it will harm your dentures, causing them to warp.
- You may soak your dentures in bleach solutions (diluted), but limit exposure to 10 minutes.
Thinking about Dentures?
Come and visit us at The Center for Cosmetic & Family Dentistry for a consultation! Our doctors will help you explore your options and get the wonderful smile you’ve always wanted.
Hours of Operation
|Monday||8:00am - 5:00pm|
|Tuesday||8:00am - 5:00pm|
|Wednesday||8:00am - 5:00pm|
|Thursday||7:00am - 3:00pm|
|Friday||7:00am - 3:00pm|
We offer free cosmetic consultations.